Thursday, September 6, 2012

Summer Olympics 2012

I LOVE the Olympics. I love them so much that Adam hates it. Obsessed is a pretty good way to explain how I am those 2+ weeks every couple of years. It's not even a specific event, although the  standard favorites are mine also I'll pretty much watch any of it. Case in point: Adam walks into the living room on the first Saturday of games. I'm watching, well something. "What is this?!" He sounds a little exasperated. I answer the only way I can, " I have no idea, it's the Olympics." Oh, by the way it was handball and it's nothing like what I THOUGH handball was.
The Opening & Closing Ceremonies are sacred. Gymnastics, swimming, diving, synchronized swimming & diving, equestrian, weight lifting, rowing I could keep going but I'll spare you.... I will admit I have a hard time with badminton, table tennis, water polo & now handball.
As a kid I watched as much of it as was on TV, or at least as much as my mom allowed. Even though at the time I didn't understand the significance of it, I was "there" when Nadia scored a perfect 10. And when the hockey team preformed a Miracle on Ice, my butt was planted right in front of the TV. From 1976 on, if it happened at the Olympics I probably saw it.
I downloaded a couple of handy dandy free apps and all the games, athletes and results were at my finger tips. In fact social media added a whole new avenue to my experience. Checking in on GetGlue gave me a stream of people watching the same thing I was, cheering and adding a perspective other than my own. I loved reading the comments while watching. Just like all social media, there were some idiots out there just to get a rise out of people. But, as a whole, it was a very positive addition to the experience.

Screen shot of London 2012 app


NBC's app



London 2012 medals


The London Games, of course, hold a really special place in my heart. It's no secret that the time Danee and I spent there made it one of the very best place I've been. Top 3. But also when we were there was when London was making their last, big push to be a host city. Sometimes I'm really glad I keep stupid stuff!



Some of the highlights from London for me were Michael Phelps becoming the most decorated Olympian of all time. Keri Walsh Jennings & Misty May-Treanor on the podium for their 3rd straight gold medal in beach volleyball. The girls of the Fab 5 taking gold in the women's team gymnastics competition. Gabby Douglas winning the all around. Every single thing about Oscar Pistorius
Do you want to know a really cool fact?! As I'm writing this, right this minute there are:  519 Days 15 Hours 19 minutes until the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Aaaand there are 1429 Days 21 Hours 19 Minutes until the 2016 Summer games in Rio! I'll be watching!

xoxo

Lissa


0 comments:

Post a Comment